Read the Short Answer Type Questions ( SAQ ) with answers from the poem ‘Asleep In The Valley’ for the 2020 Higher Secondary Examination, these SAQ have been prepared by our expert panel of English teachers to score high marks in English WBCHSE Higher Secondary Examination 2020
- What kind of poetry does the poet use to drive home the pity of war?
Ans) The poet uses lyrical poetry to drive home the pity of war.
2. What are the two adjectives given to the valley?
Ans) The two adjectives that are given to the valley are ‘small’ and ‘green’.
3. What leaves long strands of silver on the bright grass?
Ans) The stream leaves long strands of silver on the bright grass.
4. What kind of grass is found on the bank of the stream?
Ans) The grass found on the bank of the stream is bright.
5. Describe the valley.
Ans) The poet describes the valley as bright and green with a slow stream flowing.
6. ‘…they fill the hollow full of light.’- What does ‘the hollow’ describe?
Ans) ‘The hollow’ describes the valley that lies between the mountains.
7. Why was the soldier lying open-mouthed?
Ans) The soldier was lying open-mouthed, as he was dead.
8. What is the soldier’ pillow made of?
Ans) The soldier’s pillow is made of fern.
9. Where does the soldier lie stretched?
Ans) The young soldier lies stretched in the heavy undergrowth that is among the bushes and the flowering plants of the small valley.
10. Mention the two words that are used to describe the sun-soaked bed.
Ans) The two words that are used to describe the sun-soaked bed is ‘warm’ and ‘green’.
11. Where are the feet of the soldier?
Ans) The soldier’s feet are among the flowers in the valley.
12. How does the sleeping soldier look as he sleeps amidst the valley?
Ans) The sleeping soldier looks like an infant while sleeping amidst the valley.
13. Why is the smile if the soldier compared to that of an infant?
Ans) The soldier’s smile is compared to an infant because his smile is pure, innocent gentle and without guile, just like an infant.
14. What does the poet plead to Nature for the comfort of the soldier?
Ans) The poet pleads to Nature to keep the soldier warm and comfortable.
15. What do the sunrays do?
Ans) The sunrays keep the soldier’s body warm and brighten the valley.
16. Who fails to disturb the rest of the soldier?
Ans) The humming insects fail to disturb the rest of the soldier.
17. How did the soldier die in the poem ‘Asleep in the Valley’?
Ans) There were two red holes at the soldier’ sides which indicates bullet holes and its enough evidence to say that the soldier died in the war while fighting.
18. What is the theme of the poem ‘Asleep in the Valley’?
Ans) The theme of the poem ‘Asleep in the Valley’ is the futility of war.
19. What message is revealed through the poem ‘Asleep in the Valley’?
Ans) The message revealed through the poem ‘Asleep in the Valley’ is the meaninglessness of war.